Thursday, December 11, 2008

Brad and Angie - The Fascination Continues


I can't wait for my Rolling Stone magazine to show up tomorrow. I don't really know how or why I get it. I certainly didn't subscribe. I haven't been billed. My husband swears he had nothing to do with it. But it does have great articles (like the recent spread on The Big Lebowski -- one of my favorite movies ever -- but I digress) and tomorrow's should not disappoint. Brad Pitt is on the cover, and according to this report, he defends his and Angie's decision to sell their children's photos for charity.

The Jolie-Pitts had, as far as I can see, four choices when considering the rabid interest for photos of their offspring: (a) ignore the paparazzi and shield their newborns from the public eye, (b) embrace the paparazzi and public, and willingly pose with their newborns for free, (c) sell exclusive photos of the newborns to publications for personal profit or (d) sell exclusive photos of the newborns and donate the proceeds to charity. The Jolie-Pitts, obviously, chose (d).

Proceeds earned from the sale of exclusive photographs of their natural-born children -- Shiloh and twins Viv and Knox -- to pop culture magazines like Hello! and People have netted the Jolie-Pitt Foundation tens of millions of charitable dollars over the past few years. And all because of the public's insatiable thirst for celebrities! I'm guessing that's the reasoning behind the decision. Or at least one of them.

Many celebrities raise money for charitable organizations (Bono's RED Campaign, Jerry Lewis's annual Muscular Dystrophy telethon). But the Jolie-Pitts have cashed in on their celebrity to raise money for their personal charitable vehicles, putting them in a very interesting position on the altruistic-egoistic spectrum. I can't wait to read Brad's explanation tomorrow.


No comments: